Thursday 28 June 2012

Acute Anticholinergic Syndrome?

I did some reading today on the possible effects of carbamazepine overdose.


http://www.inchem.org/documents/pims/pharm/pim100.htm#SectionTitle:9.1 Acute poisoning


Ingestion
                    The first signs of acute intoxication begin 1
                    to 3 hours after an overdose but may be delayed;
                    presenting symptoms usually include disturbances of
                    the central nervous system, and cardiovascular and,
                    less frequently, anticholinergic signs and symptoms.


I then checked wikipedia to find out what anticholinergic signs and symptoms might be when they're at home:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anticholinergic



When a significant amount of an anticholinergic is taken into the body, a toxic reaction known as acute anticholinergic syndrome may result. 
 ...

Acute Anticholinergic Syndrome

Possible effects of anticholinergics include:
Possible effects in the central nervous system resemble those associated with delirium, and may include:
  • Confusion
  • Disorientation
  • Agitation
  • Euphoria or dysphoria
  • Respiratory depression
  • Memory problems[3]
  • Inability to concentrate
  • Wandering thoughts; inability to sustain a train of thought
  • Incoherent speech
  • Irritability
  • Mental confusion (brain fog)
  • Wakeful myoclonic jerking
  • Unusual sensitivity to sudden sounds
  • Illogical thinking
  • Photophobia
  • Visual disturbances
    • Periodic flashes of light
    • Periodic changes in visual field
    • Visual snow
    • Restricted or "tunnel vision"
  • Visual, auditory, or other sensory hallucinations[3]
    • Warping or waving of surfaces and edges
    • Textured surfaces
    • "Dancing" lines; "spiders", insects; form constants
    • Lifelike objects indistinguishable from reality
    • Hallucinated presence of people not actually there
  • Rarely: seizures, coma, and death
  • Orthostatic hypotension (sudden dropping of systolic blood pressure when standing up suddenly) and significantly increased risk of falls in the elderly population.[4]
Acute anticholinergic syndrome is completely reversible and subsides once all of the causative agent has been excreted.
A lot of this matches what I experienced, especially the CNS-related effects. I also clicked through to read up on ataxia, and found that it describes my problems moving/balancing well, especially the cerebellar ataxia, and it specifically states that 'most antiepileptic drugs have cerebellar ataxia as a possible adverse effect' - carbamazepine is an antiepileptic drug as well as a mood stabiliser.  
People with cerebellar ataxia may initially present with poor balance, which could be demonstrated as an inability to stand on one leg or perform tandem gait. As the condition progresses, walking is characterized by a widened base and high stepping, as well as staggering and lurching from side to side.[1] Turning is also problematic and could result in falls. As cerebellar ataxia becomes severe, great assistance and effort are needed in order to stand and walk.[1] Dysarthria, an impairment with articulation, may also be present and is characterized by "scanning" speech that consists of slower rate, irregular rhythm and variable volume.[1] There may also be slurring of speech, tremor of the voice and ataxic respiration. Cerebellar ataxia could result with incoordination of movement, particularly in the extremities. There is overshooting with finger to nose testing, and heel to shin testing; thus, dysmetria is evident.[1] Impairments with alternating movements (dysdiadochokinesia), as well as dysrhythmia, may also be displayed. There may also be tremor of the head and trunk (titubation) in individuals with cerebellar ataxia.[1]
Obviously, I am not a doctor, but I do intend to bring this up with my GP to see what she thinks, because it certainly sounds to me like it's a pretty likely explanation of what happened.  It also means that all the symptoms I presented whilst in their care were actually symptoms that were consistent with having taken a carbamazepine overdose. And that they discharged me (without any advice, and without putting any kind of safety net in place in case they were, y'know, wrong about their decision that I was just faking - they didn't say 'if xyz happens bring her back', or make sure she goes to see her doctor on monday or anything) whilst I was presenting symptoms of a syndrome that can - admittedly rarely according to wikipedia - lead to seizures, coma and death.

3 comments:

  1. your being a good advocate for your loved one, that's all you can hope to be. W/o you asking these questions they'd probably never get asked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if this will post?

    Thanks for the blog. I've just started researching an experience I had on pethidine at a young age.
    So far... it was the first synthetic opioid, developed by a highest ranking nazi and the IG Farben chemical corp. Who the far right initially accused of being an international capitalist Jewish company... fun fun.
    As stated above, some pretty intense, like, as intense as it gets side effects.

    I'm just looking into where that company's products are still on the market, probably all the antidepressants....

    I've had tremors, like these rushes, that I guess I could only come close to describing as a body orgasm. Use some ego and call it the kundalini. Never really thought about if that's normal or not. doesn't seem to be. maybe it's Ataxia. I do get wobbly.

    Anyway. I appreciate the chance to get some more light on the subject.

    Thanks and all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How I became a happy woman again
    With tears of joy and happiness I am giving out my testimony to all viewers online, my problem with Stomach Cancer stage IB and HIV has caused me many pains and sadness especially in my family.
    I was so afraid of loosing my life, I suffered the embarrassment of visiting
    therapy hundreds of times, unfortunately they did not find a definitive solution to my problem, I cried all day and night, do I have to live my life this way? I searched all true the internet for care, I was scammed by internet fraudsters times without numbers… until a friend of mine who stays in the UK introduced me to a friend of hers who was cured of the same disease, and she introduced me to Dr Itua who cured her from Breast Cancer by this email/WhatsApp +2348149277967, drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com I contacted him and he promised that all will be fine and I had faith.He sent me his herbal medicines through Courier service and I was instructed on how to drink it for three weeks to cure,I followed the instructions given to me and Today am a happy woman again. He cures all kinds of diseases.

    ReplyDelete